Saturday 28 September 2013

Shocking

Ebay never ceases to amaze. And for once I'm not talking about their commission policy.

I came across something called a static grass applicator which you can buy for £13.95. Essentially its a kitchen sieve which you fill with flock and then put a charge through in order to get the fake grass to stand up when you shake it over the appropriate piece of terrain. I haven't added the link but its in scenery and props if you want to take a look and dare I say it, feel your jaw drop.

Now I know that we modellers can be something of an obsessive lot but this takes a whole packet of biscuits. Good luck to the people trying to sell it but can there be an item more marginal? The best bit for me was that because electricity is involved there is a risk of electric shock. The advert perhaps unsurprisingly does not identify the level of risk to which the user is exposed but if you are willing to take a chance in order to achieve upright grass then you are a braver man than I

Or am I missing something? Is there a market for this sort of device which I have hitherto never seen? I doubt it but please tell me if I am. I love the home made feel of this sort of thing (think Youtube and foam cutters) but the sight of a common sieve bolted to an electrode was an innovation too far. I'm out.

3 comments:

  1. If it's the one I've just looked at the seller even admits you can get a belt off it! I'd happily make one myself, but in the age of "Injury Lawyers" I don't think anything would persuade me to sell one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough I have been thinking about buying one of these. My Noch Puffer bottle is rather less than adequate, and I have some big pieces of terrain to cover. I'm not sure what I think about the shocks, though... but they only have a couple of weeny batteries in them so hopefully not fatal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just struck me as one of those items for the man who has everything. If I had to buy an Xmas present for Elton John this is what I would get him because I bet he doesn't have one.

      Delete